Dr. Whitney is the Director, Bonner Office of Community Service at Morehouse College in Atlanta, GA. Previously he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology at Morehouse College. He earned his Ph.D. degree from Michigan State University. His area of training and expertise is in Ecological Psychology, which is the study of the impact of culture and environment on individuals, groups and organizations. He has co-authored several books on African- American Issues in Mental Health. He is the former Executive Director for Human Relations for the City of Cincinnati and the former National President of the Association of Black Psychologist. Dr. Whitney conducts program evaluation research for Non-profit and Profit organizations.
Question: How will you use this Bonner Scholarship to leave a legacy at Morehouse?
Hello my name is Jared Bailey and I will use the Bonner Scholarship to leave a legacy at Morehouse College by working hard and being dedicated to improving my community. I personally believe that a legacy is something given to someone by a benefactor. That gift can be monetary or personal property, but in this case the legacy will be the work done by us. It is important to be dedicated to this program because our work will be remembered by those younger than us. This will then leave an impact on those who saw The Bonner Scholars working hard as Men of Morehouse. Many people must understand that the younger generation ( Joshua generation) will be the ones who continue the legacy. A difference can be made by just by reading a book to children, serving students lunch, building houses, and by mentoring.
ReplyDeleteI will make a difference by showing that I care through my actions and not just by my words. Words are powerful yet actions speak louder than words. If I can make a difference just by reaching out to that young man or lady, I have left my mark and the cycle will continue through them. I can set a good example and show the youth how a leader should carry themselves and how to think before acting. The most important thing to remember is that in order to be helped, one must be given the opportunity to be assisted. In a lot of cases , many people are not given a chance to show their potential. However, with the Bonner Scholarship, I can make that happen.
Hello my brothers! Once again I am Omar D'Andre Smith and I will use this Bonner Scholarship at Morehouse College in the following ways.
ReplyDeleteThis Bonner Scholarship has given me the opportunity to afford the Morehouse
College experience. I do not take this blessing lightly, and I plan on using this scholarship to enrich the minds of others as well as my own. I plan on using my oratorical, technical, and artistic abilities to create a Youtube Channel where I can showcase all of the beauty within Morehouse's campus. The beauty of Youtube, is that I will have total creative power over the content of my videos. I plan to shed positive light on our HBCU and produce high quality videos that provide not only entertainment, but true insight into the college lifestyle. I can use this platform to give High School students advice on what they should prepare for on their road to college. Another advantage of the Youtube platform, is the ability for me to emphasize the importance of service within your community, representing your culture well, and performing at your full potential.
As a member of the Bonner Program I have the potential of leaving a legacy by creating service initiatives with you all. As a team, and eventually a family we have the chance to create some really powerful programs that can really leave a legacy at Morehouse. I am confident that all of us as a collective unit have more than enough intellect to make an impact on our campus and in our community. Whether it is through tutoring young children, feeding the hungry, or giving clothes to the homeless. The possibilities are endless.
The Bonner Scholarship is giving me the opportunity to get my degree in Business Administration/ Marketing. In my classes I plan to have a reputation of a student who participates and brings new ideas to the classroom. As menial as that may seem, this aspect of my overall student behavior might set a good example for those around me, thus leaving a legacy. When I have completed my degree I will go on to be a Marketing Manager for either a multinational technical company like Apple or an entertainment company like BET or VH1. A career like this would give me the financial flexibility to give back to Morehouse College and the Bonner Program. Later down the line, I would like to start a youth organization, much like the one I started in high school, for the purpose of encouraging young Black children to dream big and work for what they want.
When you think of an athlete's uniform, you will notice that the jersey worn by the athlete will typically have the team name on the front, and the his/her name on the back. This is very similar to my thoughts in regards to what one represents. Within the core of any achieving individual is faith, and a village of people who have invested into them, contributing to their success. In return, it is the individual's mere duty to value these relationships enough to refrain from any actions that could result in a burned bridge or disappointment.
ReplyDeleteAs a Bonner Scholar, I know that I am privileged to be amongst this very selective group of young men. I see this scholarship opportunity as an investment that is allowing me to better myself as a man, in order to impact the world in the near future. In return, it is my responsibility to dedicate my all to this program, and strive to represent it to the best of my ability. I am ecstatic to begin working within the local communities, making changes that will have positive effects on the city of Atlanta.
I also look forward to utilizing the Bonner Scholar experience as a platform of networking opportunities and exposure to reliable resources. With the relationships that I intend to build, my chances of expanding and developing into my career path and as a philanthropist are increased exponentially. The fruits of my labor will be a direct reflection of the type of men that the Morehouse College Bonner Scholars Program produces.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteommunity service is when you work for free to help benefit the public or your community. Usually, students who choose to do community service do so as volunteers, meaning that they choose to help out because they want to do so. Community service can have a lot of positive effects on students, such as helping them to develop skills, making contacts, and allowing them to improve the quality of life of others.
ReplyDeleteYou probably know some students in your school who choose to volunteer their free time through community service. There are many ways that you can do this, such as joining a non-profit organization, working with a church group, or you can choose a cause and create your own service project.
Volunteer work can range from the relatively simple, like helping coach the lacrosse team at your old junior high, to the much more complex, like starting a non-profit that helps settle new refugees in your area.
As I’m sure you can imagine, there are a lot of benefits to doing volunteer work. I will use this program to make connections and become a better and wiser person. I plan on doing soo much you can’t help but to notice a change. I don’t just plan on leaving a Legacy at Morehouse but in the Community as well .
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete
ReplyDeleteHello I'm Michael Glasper, and today I will discuss how I will use the Bonner Scholarship to leave a legacy at Morehouse.First off I must say that I am honored and blessed to be one of the recipients of this scholarship. With several concerns and worries of how I will pay for college, and thoughts about being in debt for the rest of my life the scholarship is a huge blessing for me. With doubts of how can I afford this expensive school, I continued to reject universities despite of how much money they offered me because I wanted to be a Morehouse man. Not only will this scholarship assist with the cost of school but it also will it allow me to show my dedication and commitment to community service. I completed this scholarship application with dedication and 100 percent effort. I now can and will be attending morehouse because of this scholarship. I am now able to fulfill my dreams and goals while being at morehouse. Receiving this scholarship was a huge stress reliever for me .
I will leave a legacy from this scholarship by first demonstrating how I can manage to serve the community along with remaining focused on school and making great grades. I will persuade others to want to be apart of the Bonner Family and also serve the community with us . I believe I can help expand and this organization and recruit others to join.I will do every task that I am given to the best of my ability. I feel that this scholarship will allow me to become more responsible and teach me the importance of time management. Also, I would strive to do more instead of the I am confident about getting my services hours no matter what and maybe even getting a little extra more hours .
I am very intrigued about being apart of this organization and will bring positive things to the table. I am looking forward for the new experiences and most certainly ready to learn & participate in more community service activities. I will allow others to realize how this organization is about the community and how you serve not just the money it offers . I'm very passionate about being able to have this opportunity and will show how vital it is to me .
Hello Brothers! My name is Devon Elis, responding to the prompt "How will you use the Bonner Scholarship to leave a legacy at Morehouse?"
ReplyDeleteI often mention that my personal mission is to serve as a catalyst for change in my community due to my belief that there is a symbiotic relationship between oneself and their community. This is in alignment with the Bonner program and its mission. The fact remains that such goals must be financed. The Bonner Scholarship will give me a better opportunity, from a financial and engagement standpoint, to achieve these goals that I have set for myself.
Not only does this scholarship enable me to fulfill my personal goals but it allows me to partake of the Morehouse experience and continue to cultivate a culture of learned and engaged black men. Every legacy needs a precedent. This scholarship allows me to be a part of a family that instills young men with an innate and unyielding drive for success. It allows me to be a part of a culture in which the concepts of hard work, perseverance, and persistence become second nature. With this being said I will use the Bonner Scholarship not so much to create as to continue a legacy of scholarship, service, and integrity
Greetings Bonner Family! My name is Torryn Carter & I will be answering the following question, "How will you use this Bonner Scholarship to leave a legacy at Morehouse?"
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost, being of service to my community has been a prominent mission of mine since a kid. During my tenure at Morehouse I plan to use the Bonner program to reach a larger array of people in the community and leave a lasting impact on those in need. As a Bonner I will have the opportunity to incorporate what I learned in other community service projects and hopefully learn new initiatives to help the community from my fellow Bonner brothers.
An ultimate initiative of mine is to pay it forward to those in my community and instill in kids the importance of giving back to their community. Hopefully it becomes a chain reaction from generation to generation of people giving back to their communities. If my intended initiative works out then I would indeed leave a lasting impact not just on Morehouse but on whatever community I help.
I will use the Bonner Scholarship as a bridge to help me build connections with those that I help. At Morehouse I want people to KNOW that I am giving back to my community willingly. This scholarship has allowed me to attend Morehouse College and I will go above and beyond to complete my duties as a Bonner Scholar. I want to be the one that goes the extra mile to complete community service and also build strong relationships in the process. I want to be remembered at Morehouse as a man who went above a beyond and not just known as another scholar of the Bonner program. I plan to impact many lives in the years to come.
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon everyone. Blessings to all. I plan on using the Bonner scholarship to demonstrate what is expected for a future Morehouse man.
ReplyDeletePossesing integrity, honor, and being a good human being. With community service being an important part of my life and will be for all of us for the next four years, it provides an opportunity for all of us to remember what it means to be human. Community service is the pèfect way for a person to stay in tuned wih the frailties of life. Therefore, I am using the Bonner scholarship to leave a legacy of excellence at Morehouse. I strongly believe this is a characteristic that any Bonner scholar should possess. I will use the Bonner scholarship to also leave a legacy of what it means to be a well-rounded Morehouse man. To set the standard for Bonner schoars after me.
Hello everyone. I am Michael Sims, and I will utilize this great opportunity as a Bonner scholar to the highest level. I will use my previous experiences of service and leadership as the foundation for my legacy. Through my commitment to the community and to service I will exceed my Bonner requirements. However, simultaneously I intend to push forward the culture of community service. I plan to act as a servant leader, as I focus on creating strong relationships, and being a servant of the community and its people. “Servant leadership is a philosophy and set of practices that enriches the lives of individuals, builds better organizations and ultimately creates a more just and caring world.” Servant leadership embodies everything that a Morehouse man and Bonner scholar should represent and I want to be remembered as a man of community service and a leader amongst his peers and classmates.
ReplyDeleteGreetings brothers! Once again my name is Kristopher Britton, with the Bonner Scholarship I will build an organization that will change and flip the domestic/sexual violence system from our men towards our black women. As a leader, you have self confidence, personality and communication skills in & out of your community. And with these attributes, instilled throughout all of us and myself the non profit organization will reach its zenith and lead an astonishing legacy at Morehouse College. Providing needless help to teach our brothers at Morehouse how to directly ensure better communication rather than violence in a relationship as well as protection for our young woman throughout the AUC. Even though, I have yet not to step foot into the actions and responsibilities as a Bonner Scholar, I for surely know it will shape me into a great person and most importantly man to leave a legacy at Morehouse. I will use it as an advantage for the finer things in life, that will out-shatter the violence throughout two individuals. I won’t just be the man who was a Morehouse graduate, Bonner Scholar, but the Man who persevered with God at his side, in order to finalize his calling, which was to provide peace throughout individuals and ensure peace throughout Morehouse College.
ReplyDeleteIn order to leave a legacy at Morehosue College, it is imperative that the position of a leader is upheld by a future man of Morehouse life myself. The Bonner scholarship has provided me with a stepping stool to set an example for not only my peers, but young adolescents as well. As a Bonner scholar I have the opportunity to use this title to present a prestige foundation of brotherhood. It has come to my attention that with this scholarship, it is time to utilize the community service hours I have to help others in and out of my community. Not only this, but people will recognize me as a superior leader throughout the College of Morehouse. By maintaining outstanding academic performances, being constantly involved in student clubs, and influencing others on and of campus, this will allow my legacy to be placed and remembered.
ReplyDeleteBy being apart of the Bonner Program I will leave a legacy at Morehouse as someone who lead by example. While being active in Bonner and other activities, I plan on encouraging non active members of Morehouse to become active. Hopefully, by them seeing others and I active, it will encourage them to get active as well. By getting a significant amount of people active in activities such as community service, we can become popularly known as a school who gives back.
ReplyDelete