Hey guys, my name is James Spikes and I will be serving as your Senior Bonner Intern for the 2017-2018 academic school year. As you can tell by my picture, I'm pretty excited to be welcoming you guys into the Bonner program, getting to know you guys, and helping you to be the best student, servant leader, and man that you can be.
Just to give you a little background information about me; I am a Senior Kinesiology major from Houston, Tx. I am a member of the James P. Haines Society here at Morehouse College as well as a member of the Freshman 4.0 eboard. As a Bonner Scholar, I have worked with Kipp Strive Atlanta, M. Agnes Jones Elementary school as well as served as an intern at the Gateway Center. I have also helped to complete a number of campus wide service initatives and community outreach projects. Because of my experiences in service before and during my matriculation through Morehouse College, I have grown to appreciate and understand the importance of being a servant leader.
I am very laid back and I won't ask much of you except to adhere to your duties as a Man of Morehouse and a Bonner Scholar. My biggest concerns for you guys is that you start to better develop your problem solving skills, and ultimately find your sense of indepence and responsibility. With that being said, I hope you all are having a great summer and I look forward to working with you.
Please respond to this blog post in a timely manner.
What does it mean to be proactive; in your life, in your work, and in your goals?
Hi my name is Jared Bailey and I will be answering the question of " What does it mean to be proactive; in your life, in your work, and in your goals?'
ReplyDeleteThe definition of "proactive" is "acting in advance to deal with an expected difficulty". In order to be successful in life, one must be proactive. Without proactivity, everything will be disorganized and ruined. To achieve a successful life, one must learn to be proactive at a young age, then it will become normal to be prepared for whatever obstacles come in life.
In my life I am being proactive by handling certain responsibilities given to me. In my work and goals, I must study hard and stay focused. Of course, college studies are not easy at first but if I manage my schedule in a timely manner, everything should be correlated. For example, if
I know I have finals in four weeks, it would be best to start studying as early as possible in order to avoid failure. I will also realize as I grow into adulthood that one must not procrastinate. Procrastination will result in loss of jobs, funds, and failure of assignments given. Therefore, proper preparation prevents poor performance. If one can be prepared for certain challenges in life due to being proactive, they will be unstoppable.
Hello, My name is Tiyé Ridley, and to me what it means to be proactive in my life, in my work and in my goals is to ALWAYS be one step ahead. Procrastination is the number one thing that stops people from being able to accomplish their set goals. Everyday I strive to be proactive so i can be prepared for any setbacks. So far I have done well and plan to be even more proactive in college and in my community. I can be proactive by getting more hours of community service instead of the set minimum. This will allow me to have more free time, and open up time to get my work from classes done.
ReplyDeleteGreetings Bonner Family! My name is Torryn Carter and I will be addressing the following question: "What does it mean to be proactive; in your life, in your work, and in your goals?"
ReplyDeleteA wise man once told me, "Be ready so you don't have to get ready". When I think of the word "proactive" this quote automatically comes to mind as "proactive" is defined as "acting in anticipation of future problems, needs or changes. I was instilled the importance of being proactive at an early age, but I haven't really seen the importance of being proactive firsthand until recently, after graduating high school.
In my life I am being proactive by prioritizing things and doing things in a promptly manner instead of being a procrastinator. I've often seen friends and even family fall victim to procrastination and lack of prioritization, which is what motivates me to always be prepared for whatever may occur. To be proactive in your goals, means to set your goals accordingly. I use S.M.A.R.T goals when setting goals. For those who are unfamiliar with S.M.A.R.T goals, it is a acronym standing for, (S)pecific (M)easurable (A)ttainable (R)easonable (T)ime bound. If you go through this process when goal-setting then you're definitely setting goals proactively.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteProactiveness is one of the most important characteristics someone's mindset should include . It plays an important role in people's lives, jobs, and even future goals. Being proactive means you should have the ability to take action, be motivated and driven. Most of the time in order to become successful you have to be proactive. Proactiveness has a huge impact on people in various ways such as decision making, the ability to do things, and the way you react in situations. In life you must be proactive because you are the only person who has the ability to give yourself the desire to want to do something. When it comes to goals being proactive is important because if you aren't motivated or inspired to do something you most likely won't do it. If you are confident about your goals and want to fulfill them you will and you can if you are proactive. With your work or any task that is given make sure you are proactive because people tend to get lazy and unambitious, which leads them to not accomplishing anything.
ReplyDeleteHello, my name is Devon Ellis. To be proactive can mean a great number of things depending on the context. To be proactive can mean to take initiative to accomplish whatever goals you set for yourself, to be relentless in your pursuit for whatever mode of greatness one wishes to pursue. More generally, it means having ambition and taking steps to complete any given task to the best of your ability.
ReplyDeleteIn my life, being proactive means taking all of the steps necessary to shape myself and my community so that they are in alignment with my vision. Success often is difficult to achieve without proactivity. Taking initiative to change your circumstances and not counting on anyone to change it for you is an integral part of the pursuit of success. In my studies, I prioritize, I realize that I must take steps like studying, seeking academic guidance when I don't understand a concept or concepts, and things of that nature in order to achieve academic excellence. I am proactive because I practice prioritization, I take initiative in accomplishing the goals that I set for myself, but also to fulfill the expectations set for me by others. My personal mission statement is to serve as a catalyst for change in my community, I do this so that one day we can realize a community strengthened through positive engagement in all aspects of society. Since my realization of my mission I believe that I have taken many of the steps necessary, and will continue to take the steps so that one day my vision can one day become realized.
Good Afternoon my brothers! I am Omar D'Andre Smith and look forward to meeting you all in August. In regards to the question, "What does it mean to be proactive; in your life, in your work, and in your goals?" my opinion is as follows.
ReplyDeleteTo me, being proactive means taking the extra step to be well prepared in all endeavors. It is easy to fall victim to laziness or procrastination, but a proactive individual uses grit and initiative, to ensure they are well equipped for challenges that may come. As young men, we have to make sure we are not victims to unexpected circumstances. We must be bold and dynamic and take charge before it is necessary to do so. As brothers it is our responsibility to keep each other accountable and make sure we are all being proactive, not just as individuals, but as a whole.
In my life, I feel as if being proactive is staying on top of my due dates. I have a great deal of aspirations that require time and preparation, so if I am passive and procrastinate on what i have to do, then I might miss out on great opportunities. There is nothing worse than wasting a good opportunity, because they won't always be available often. The best way for me to live my life, is for me to be proactive and plan in advance.
In my work it is imperative that I stay proactive. As Jared Bailey stated, "college studies are not easy at first", which means I have to work twice as hard and stay on top of my business. It is easy to slip through the cracks academically, so I need to make sure I prioritize my time so that my work is not negatively effected.
If I take my own advice and stay proactive throughout my life, I should be able to reach all my goals in life. As a strive to reach my own dreams, I hope to simultaneously aid my fellow brothers in reaching their own.
Ideally I would hope that through this program, I will practice my pro-activity in order to make a significant impact in our community, and serve in an efficient manner.
Hello, My name is Wendell Petit-Homme. Being proactive to me means to be in control of your situation or circumstances. A proactive person controls their outcome, while a reactive person is controlled by the outcomes. Despite if the circumstances are convenient.
ReplyDeleteOne characteristic of someone who's successful is that they are proactive. They put their selves in positions to be successful. By planning ahead and not only work hard but work SMART.
I have implemented these Principle in my life, And they continue to be the the greatest reasons for my success. One way I show my proactivity is by taking initiative. Many times I find myself taking initiative when everyone one else just sits back and hope for results I make it happen. There are two types of people as its been been told the Thinkers and the DOers. A proactive person is a thinker that does.
Hello my name is Xavier Jackson , and being proactive in my life means to always keeping your self busy and focusing on your goals. Yes fun comes into the picture as well. Being proactive means always be ahead of The Game because for us black young men we already set to fail. I feel like you can be most proactive if you keep you mind on the main plan and just execute it. In my work being proactive mean being ahead. Having my work done ahead of time , fully understanding the topic . In work being proactive means starting on top of it. Always thinking bigger , wider, and smarter.
ReplyDeleteGreetings everyone! My name is Michael Sims, from Detroit, MI and I am extremely excited to be a member of the Bonner Brotherhood. When asked “What does it mean to be proactive; in your life, in your work, and in your goals?”, time management and planning are essential to one's success. In all things you do, there will constantly be potential obstacles that can hinder your original plan. In my life, work, and goals I always anticipate future problems and changes that I might encounter. In my work I try staying ahead of things, completing tasks earlier rather than later eliminates the chances of running into certain problems. I try to avoid the temptation of procrastination as much as possible. Procrastination and complications are directly proportional to one another, and does nothing but attract problems. Also, prioritization is key. Understanding which tasks are necessary to get completed at which times can lighten up your workload. The same steps can be applied to goal setting too. Evaluate your goal and think of ways to reach it working backwards. You keep the end result in mind first and can create a more precise plan when doing so. Think about the goal and each step necessary going back from it, this way you will have created careful and thoughtful steps to choose a path that fits the needs of the goal and that is flexible when obstacles present themselves.
ReplyDeleteAccording to Merriam Webster dictionary proactive is defined as “acting in anticipation of future problems, needs, or change.” When I think of the word proactive the word reactive also comes to mind. Reactive individuals are closed minded to learning new skills. It is important that I remain proactive in order to develop new skills because learning and acquiring new skills is my priority. It demonstrate proactiveness throughout my work, life, and life goals.
ReplyDeleteBeing proactive is beneficial throughout my work because it shows that I am able to take the initiative to do something without waiting on someone else to tell me to do so. By taking this initiative it demonstrates leadership and independence. When doing community service work or school work, I always look over things several times to be certain nothing was overlooked. If something does happen to be overlooked it is important that I am proactive by fixing it without being told to do so.
As a young adult, there are still several things that I do not know. I must remain proactive throughout my life in order to further educate myself and to attain additional knowledge. By being proactive I will be able to accomplish major goals that I have.
Finally, being proactive with life goals is what keeps me motivated to accomplish them. I cannot expect to achieve anything by sitting down; by doing this I am missing out on an abundance of blessings. It is important that I continue to push through struggles and roadblocks that deter me from my goals.
Good evening everyone. My name is Dennis Prophete and I am glad to be apart of the Bonners Scholar Program with such great and intellectual young men.
ReplyDeleteWhat is means to be proactive in your life, work, and goals is to be consistent in your pursuit for not only bettering yourself as a human being but others also. Being proactive is something that a teacher cannot teach a student. I believe being proactive in your life, work, and goals is something that is developed through the amount of desire and commitment a human being has developed over time through living their life and eventually possessing the ability to identify and understand what modern day life is about and where themselves and their goals fit in in todays society making them meaningful and pertinent. Being proactive is not just actively/physically being involved, its a mindset. With that being said, deducing the assumption that we are discussing this in the perspective of being proactive in a positive way, (because you can be proactive towards a dishonorable or harmful cause) being proactive not only benefits the nurturing of you as a human, but those around you.
Sincerely,
Dennis Prophete
Hello Brothers ! My name is Kristopher Britton. To be proactive means to take the initiative and responsibility to make things happen.
ReplyDeleteRegardless, of the good bad or the ugly, you have to be consistent in order to be proactive. In my life, in order to be proactive I have to keep myself constantly busy, either between school, work or in the community, staying on my toes keeps me proactive. In your work, being proactive means to stay positive, always keep good energy and vibes throughout accomplishing something in your work. Lastly, In your goals, being proactive means staying true to yourself, beliefs, and ending goals. For instance, if your dream/goal is to become a surgeon, you have to constantly work hard, maintain the urgency to help others, and stay consistent and responsible. Throughout life, there will be constant downfalls but if you stay striving for higher peaks in order to reach your zenith then being proactive will become “second-nature” mentally, emotionally and physically.
Greetings brothers! I am Dre'Shawn Spearman, from Fayetteville, North Carolina. To be proactive in any situation, one must have control over what is happening in the situation, ultimately having control over the outcomes.
ReplyDeleteIn life, the goal of most individuals is to be successful. Over time, I have come to the realization that in order to become successful at any single aspect of life, you must first identify your most natural gift or ability, and then maximize your potential within that aspect. This requires time, energy, and most importantly it requires progress. If you are one that notices small details, you should notice a similarity in the words "progress" and "proactive". The prefix pro-, according to dictionary.com, presents a meaning of "advancing or projecting forward".
Personally, I do this by occupying my time with as much positivity as I possibly can. Throughout my high school years, I was very proactive in Student Government Association, Varsity Football, and also at my place of employment (Aldo Shoes). In Student Government Association, I served as Student Body President, which required a lot of commitment and service both within my school and also in the community. As a 4-year varsity football player, the expectations of me were extremely high, requiring me to work harder at enhancing my performance at linebacker, so that I could be a huge contributing factor to our team's defense. In my place of work, I am the youngest employee, and in fact, until I had a recent birthday I was the only employee that was a minor. With my strong sense of competition, of course this has driven me to sell above and beyond the goals that are typically set for me to exceed.
In a nutshell, in order to be effective in your work, in your life, and in accomplishing your goals, it is imperative that you have a clear understanding of your own personal capabilities, and strive towards improving those capabilities so that you see the best end results possible.
Hello fellow future men of Morehouse, my name is Dorian Watkins. In response to the blog post, first it is imperative that we are aware that in life and goals work is required and goals are what define our lives. Throughout my life I have realized that being proactive means to perform every action that leads to success with desire to be great. In addition, as I become more energetic in my life's work, they greater chance I have to achieve my goals. Being proactive in each one of these aspects does not involve just being enthusiastic, but also possessing a passion for success as well as assisting others to improve and better their life. There is a quote I love by, "If you have the chance to make other uplift those lives in need then, foster them with a purpose". It is extremely necessary to maintain a proactive work effort when stimulating a finer environment and lifestyle for your communities who are less fortunate than most.
ReplyDeleteHello, My name is Julien M. Serrano-O'Neil Incoming Freshman, Intended Major Political Science, Minor Philosophy and I'm from Long Island, New York. However, I'm coming from Orlando, Fl. I would be remiss if I did let you all know how excited I am to meet all of you. A brief background Class of 2017, Maynard Evans High School, graduated Cum laude 3.5,United Foundation Of Central Florida, Inc. President of Future Leaders United 16-17, Acting President Future Leaders United 17-18, President of Youth Advisory Board, Member of the Pine Hills Community Council, Member of the Caribbean American Chamber of Commerce of Florida, Inc., as well as an OCPS Vendor. I've organized several community outreach, Town Hall meetings that were in conjunction with my local governmental officials. I've overseen several groups of volunteers after assignment to tasks that have needed to be completed at these respective events. Community Service runs in my blood it's something that I enjoy with a passion, I feel joining Bonners allows me to work closely with individuals much like myself. Allowing myself and you all the opportunity to grow as a unit and to be able to improve our community. My focus has always been education of the community and youth!!!!! So i'm sure we will all fit together in all the right places to makes some changes. Positively impacting families one individual at a time.
ReplyDelete