Monday, July 24, 2017

Meet Quinton Jenkins, Sophomore Intern


In recent American Politics,  politicians are deciding on the direction of healthcare and who should be covered and to what extent. As future men of Morehouse, it is important to fully understand your role and to be comfortable in your opinion on decisions being made on a local, national, and international level.Therefore do you feel as though the American government is moving in the right direction with new healthcare laws? As well as, on a much more complicated level, do you believe healthcare is a right or a privilege? (please thoroughly explain your response).

12 comments:

  1. This is D'Andre Smith. I loved this question because it forced me to do some research on a current event that is going to impact me in the near future. I discovered that The Affordable Care Act is on the way out and The Republican's have a healthcare bill to replace it. The more I looked into these reforms, the more concerned I became. However, the wording of the bill hasn't changed too much and that is a tactic Trump used to manipulate citizens.

    The 2017 American Health Care Act has kept five key things consistent from Obama Care. These are as follows: Children stay on their parents plan until they are 26, the US covers pre-existing conditions, there is no lifetime limit, there are tax subsidies, and an expansion of Medicaid. From a naked eye, this looks good considering these are the same principles from Obama Care. BUT, upon further examination I discovered that Trump changed the wording to benefit the wealthy.

    For example, the tax subsidies that I mentioned are only going to be extended to those who qualify by age and not income. The Medicaid expansion that covers 10 million people currently in the US is going to stop in 2020. These changes are subject to change as they continue to debate over the details, but depending on what happens, this can lead to a lot of citizens not being covered.

    Insurance premiums are cheaper when more healthy people have insurance in order to balance the plane for the sick people. Healthy people don't need insurance as much, so as a result the premiums get more and more expensive. Obama solved this problem by making it mandatory for everyone to have insurance, and if we had kept it, premiums would decay exponentially over time. Instead, Trump plans on punishing citizens who cant afford insurance and get sick by allowing insurance companies to charge a 30% PREMIUM. This increase in price doesn't effect the rich though because they already can afford insurance. This is very scary because this can lead to a significant death spiral (those who aren't covered cannot get or afford treatment). I do not think we are moving in the right direction at all.. at least for the poor and middle class.

    I believe healthcare is undoubtedly a right. We as citizens should be granted Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and our health coverage is what preserves our lives. I think our current executive administration are losing sight of our country's morals and it is going to have a gruesome result.

    I'm excited to see you all, we are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is my firm belief that the Health Care reforms being made by theTrump administration are not "moving in the right direction". The socialization of healthcare as practiced under the Obama administration, allows much more access to persons with lower socioeconomic backgrounds. Current reforms will begin to limit access to people, specifically middle class and impoverished families. This ultimately leads to more uninsured families and individuals. In fact, current projections show that numbers of uninsured persons may double, reaching rates higher than pre-Obamacare times.

    I believe that the Federal Government and the States do have a responsibility to share the cost of insuring the poor. People who understand the concept of Economic Development know that access is key. People cannot prosper without an adequate environment to do so. People can't work if they are always sick or their children are sick, and even if they can work, healthcare is relatively price inelastic, meaning as the cost to consumers increases, quantity demanded won't shift by much, so individuals won't be able to prosper because healthcare constitutes a large percentage of their income and choices become limited.

    While it may seem long winded, all of this is to say that my principal issue with current healthcare reforms is they neglect the less affluent. The people who need assistance the most are set to fend for themselves in a nation that historically claims to value togetherness, support, and camaraderie. Regardless of the politics, me being the person that I am, one who cares deeply about community, it is troubling to say the least to imagine individuals and families to be left without options.

    To answer the question do I believe Health Care to be right, the answer is most definitely. I recognize and support the idea of self-sufficiency, I do not support the neglect of our fellow man. Some resources must be provided to create an atmosphere in which the individual can sustain themselves. Access to adequate health care is an integral part of economic development and I think it is the responsibility of the state to make sure the individual is taken care of so the state can be taken care of because economic development and economic growth go hand in hand, if we can develop then we can grow.

    I could honestly go on for hours, but I thoroughly enjoyed answering this question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Jared Bailey and healthcare in the United States is a topic many politicians debate about. There are many pros and cons to this topic. I believe that the United States should offer healthcare to everyone, yet, each working class should have a minimum amount they can afford to pay to reduce the increase of debt. Basically, regardless of social class, healthcare should be given to everyone.

    A few cons about the topic are debt, lack of time, shortage or doctors and resources, however, a few pros are no medical bills, more affordability, and a surplus of medical options. A question many people ask themselves is if healthcare is a right or privilege. Healthcare is a privilege because any one can receive medical attention which is a right, but will also receive a medical bill following the operation. That bill will either be taken care of by insurance or out of pocket by the patients family.

    The American government is in need of new policies and a new system when it comes to administration. However, if the United States of America cant make a direct change, maybe I can within my community. It all starts with an idea, then a plan, and finally action. Within the community, one could start a fundraiser to help families in poverty pay for healthcare or even start a petition to increase lower insurance rates.

    Any person Black, White, Latino, Asian, Indian, or etc. should have basic rights, however, one shouldn't always depend so heavily on the government for assistance. In many cases, the government does not provide affordable healthcare to families thus making the decision of helping the loved one survive or finding their next meal a difficult decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I do not feel as if the government is moving in the right direction for healthcare because eventually the poor and middle class citizens will not be covered. Healthcare is a right and EVERYONE should have access to it. Healthcare keeps us citizens cover from any damages we may face in our life time, without it we are vulnerable to all types of health defects. If we are all equal we should ALL have affordable healthcare no matter the race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I don’t believe the government going the right direction with healthcare. Gov. Scott Walker says U.S. House Republicans are moving in the right direction on their health care reform bill after Speaker Paul Ryan announced he plans to provide more help to older people.

    Ryan said Sunday people in their 50s and 60s deserve more help because their face higher costs. Walker said Monday he and other Republican governors have been advocating for such a move. Walker says the more the GOP can do to improve tax credits for older adults the better.

    Ryan also said other changes may include requiring able-bodied Medicaid recipients to work. Walker says GOP governors want that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Bonner family, my name is Torryn Carter and I definitely do not think U.S healthcare is moving in the right direction. From my understanding, there is so much debate about U.S healthcare that no progress is actually being made. I totally agree with Jared Bailey's statement that each working class should have a set minimum they could afford to pay, instead of equally charging everyone. I believe that healthcare is a right. How must we survive without healthcare? I live with my great grandmother who is 76 years old and retired. She takes more than 5 pills daily and is in and out of the doctor's office. I cannot imagine the state she would be in without healthcare or insurance. So I do believe that it is a right but it must be adjusted so it can fairly accommodate to each and every citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Similarly to the income gap between the poor and rich, the new proposed health care law is not a bonus for middle to low class families. I think the American Government is going in the wrong direction in regards to the health care laws. The new laws fail to include the needs of the middle-low income population and mainly focuses on the wealthy. The plan provides a new formula for setting the amount of subsidies that would tie them to the cost of less comprehensive health plans. That means many consumers would get substantially less assistance than under Obamacare. Also, the amount would be tied to a person's age, not income, so younger low-income people would get less help. Poor children often experience higher incidences of adverse health, delayed developmental progress, and other outcomes than non-poor or middle-class children experience. As I reflect on the new laws, I don’t think the American Government is looking at healthcare through the lens of the people who need it most. Nothing stated in the revised plan is of any help to the lower class and they deserve better. Healthcare is a moral or legal entitlement to have or and should be available to all in the same quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The health care laws in America have changed tremendously and have affected US citizens in various ways. Health care laws play important roles in people's lives. I feel that the American government isn't going in the right direction with new health care law simple because right now it will prevent several people from being treated and cared for. Currently the government wants to take away healthcare for certain individuals. People that are unemployed with no income shouldn't be penalized when it comes to health care because everyone should be given an equal opportunity of staying healthy and alive. People are dying left to right from all kinds sicknesses; sicknesses that have medications that can help. Medications are so expensive now a days and people need and deserve assistance on paying for them. Despite of race , gender, and sex I think that the government should offer everyone the same kind of health care so that everyone could be cared for and treated equally.

    I believe that health care is a right because no one shouldn't be denied help no matter what's going on or how much money they are making . If you are US citizen you should automatically be granted healthcare. Some people aren't eligible to get high paying jobs and make as much money as they want to so they can provide their own insurance. So much thing are being taken away from our citizens due to special requirements. We need more rights and somethings to keep us standing despite of what you did in the past, where you work, or your income . If Everyone, especially people with children had the right to have healthcare parents wouldn't be as stressed as they are today trying to make sure their kids are okay. Innocent children are dying and not being treated on correctly because they have no insurance or healthcare or can't afford the proper vaccines . If having healthcare was a right this country would improve is several ways like a population increase and a higher life expectancy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good evening brothers. I hope all is well. I believe that healthcare is not taking the right direction due to the nonsensical manner of how healthcare is being approached and analyzed. First of all, Trump is introduces that a new health care plan will be implemented through tweets. He is attempting to remove a health care plan that millions of Americans are currently using. Both republicans and democrats. A health care plan that is consistent. A health care plan that is beneficial for both parties.
    Nevertheless, if someone proposes a better way of doing things or a better version of something, then by all means, show everyone what you have to say and implement. However, President trump would like to repeal and replace Obamacare but has nothing in place to replace it. State senators and men and women of congress have said so. this is not just me talking. This is why they voted it out the first time and will continue to be voted out. Obamacare benefits both the republicans and democrats. Therefore, it will be very hard for President Trump to repeal and replace a healthcare plan what seems to be substantially beneficial all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, I do not firmly believe the American government is moving in the right direction with new healthcare laws. I believe healthcare is a right because it is extremely vital for some people’s lives and especially for the unfortunate, low income families. Today over 60 million people have no health insurance and even more are underinsured with high deductibles and co-payments, which is insane. If this still continues the fight for a national health care program will sink. Justice in this country is often delayed but if we stand together it will not be denied. And the American government will reach its zenith positively with healthcare laws.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Isaiah Hudson, Senior Bonner Intern

Isaiah Hudson is a junior, economics with a minor in fashion merchandising here at Morehouse College. A native of Youngstown, Ohio, Isaia...