Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Meet Jacob Bentley, Program Coordinator of BOCS



Mr. Jacob Bentley was born to Jacob and Phyllis Bentley in Riverside California. When
he was 3, his father got a job coaching for the Morehouse College Maroon Tigers, and his family
moved to the great city of Atlanta, where he was raised. After graduating from the illustrious
Benjamin E. Banneker High School in College Park, Georgia he chose to forsake the many
schools that wanted him (Harvard, GA Tech, Princeton, Emory), and take his talents to
Morehouse College. Upon reviving his Bachelor of Science degrees in Math and Engineering,
Mr. Bentley went to the FAMU/FSU school of Engineering to get his Master’s in Industrial
Wanting to do more for his community, Mr. Bentley gave up Engineering and chose to
become an educator. For the last 8+ years, he has worked at Morehouse College, first with the
Federal TRIO programs, and for the last 6, with the Bonner Office of Community Service.

Question- Tell me why you won't be the one out of three students that will not make it?

18 comments:

  1. During the spring semester of my junior year in high school, I had decided that I was going to pursue my dream of becoming a Morehouse Man. I was aware of how prestigious the school's environment was, and I was also aware of the opportunities that are presented to its students upon graduation. The only obstacle standing between myself and my dream was a financial burden. I refused to allow this to become my reason of not attending, so I immediately began to research scholarships that were offered nationally, locally, and specifically through the school. I then ran across the Bonner Scholarship, reviewed its requirements and instantly knew that it was going to be something that I wanted to be a part of. Back in December, when I first submitted my application to Morehouse College, I was destined to attend my dream school, not even knowing how I was going to afford it. For many months, Morehouse College was the only school in which I had applied for, until I was literally forced by my counselors to create a "backup plan". Around this time, I was more focused on submitting scholarship applications that would potentially grant me the opportunity of a lifetime, than spending time and money on applying to other institutions.

    During Admitted Students Weekend, I decided to stop by the Bonner Office, simply to check up on my application process. While waiting in the office for Mr. Bentley to return, I sat and conversed with a few of the current Bonner Scholars. When I was finally called into Mr. Bentley’s office, a conversation that lasted approximately less than 10 minutes, could primarily take credit for why I am now one step closer to accomplishing my long term goals.

    I am not one that takes an opportunity lightly, solemnly because nothing in my life has come easily. I feel as though God has put me on this earth with a gift of encouraging and motivating others, as well as being able to advocate for those who may not be able to fully represent themselves. I have worked extremely hard to get to this point, and now that I am literally 19 days away fro my arrival, I do not think I could be any more focused than I am now. The community service projects that we will be taking part in, are very similar to the projects that I have taken part in within my own local community. Being that I already have a genuine passion for servant leadership, I have no doubt in mind that I will fulfill, and possibly exceed the community service hours expectations. As far as academics, I know that the Bonner Office has a GPA expectation of 2.5, but I personally have set my own goal of at least a 3.5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won’t be one of the three students kicked out the program because I set personal goals for myself dealing with community service and my Gpa . I plan on being an all around student that goes above and beyond the standard. I’m a very motivated person and I feel like if you’re very motivated you can do anything you put your mind to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that I will not be the one in three that won't make it for the simple fact that I believe I am ready for this challenge that will be placed in front of me. Through every single obstacle that I have faced during my life I believe it has molded me into something far greater than what many to could image oneself to be. I have given the last three years of my life to others on a consistent basis, for the purpose that someone decided to come into my life and help me, guide me, educate me. This inspired me to serve my community and every single individual in it or as close as possible. For the last three years I've worked tireless for myself, friends, family, and all my community members to the best of my ability. I have dedicated hours on end to the betterment of my people whether it be on the educational level, personal and professional levels. From mentoring youth from 6th grade to college students. To professional development sessions for the community that helped grow ones professionalism, to financial literacy workshops for the youth in my community, to community fairs that I like to call entertainment fairs- entertainment for both the youth and adults, but also a resource fair for the adults. Providing them with information they didn't even know was available to them. Serving my community was a choice I made because someone else helped me one point in my life, however, I believe it was the gift God gave to me. As I continue to serve my community I applied to Bonners knowing that it would allow me to work with others that are willing to do the very same, but also allows me to reach out to more people helping them in any way that I possibly can, I applied knowing that they this program would provide me with some form of resource to make as many long lasting positive affects on individuals and communities as I possibly can. On top of all of this I was able to maintain my GPA place my academics as a priority as well as service, it's effectively managing my time so that I can maximize the time spent on both activities. So in closing I Believe I won't be that one in three that won't make it because I feel as if I'm ready to take this challenge head on through a posteriori which is reasoning that comes from observations or experiences, so I'm ready and can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will not be the one out of three students to make it because I have responsibilities. I know what I signed up for and it is my duty as a man to fulfill that duty. I will go the extra mile to make sure I don't fall behind and most of all communicate and be honest if something happens and I don't fulfill my duty. I have to work hard to better my community and I want to symbolize for my community what hard work and dedication looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At a young age I witnessed several people in my life drop out of school and not remain focus on life goals. From witnessing this I knew I wanted to be different and not follow in the footsteps of those people who I had looked up to. So far I have remained focus on my goals, even though it is not an easy task it can be accomplished with consecutive hard work.
    I will definitely be a student that will make it because I am driven. When I create goals for myself I will not stop until it is complete. Even when things become difficult I push through the obstacles. I also make myself very aware of who I surround myself with. I make friends with people who will help motivate me and want to see me become successful and I stay away from those who don’t care about my success nor theirs. Having a mentor to help me with my career path also serves as a big help. They keep me focused on my purpose and help me to not venture too far away from what’s needed to make me successful.
    -DeAndre Brown

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being able to attend  Morehouse is a great opportunity for me, because of this I won't let anything stop me from being successful and being able to make it.I must say I am blessed to be able  to attend Morehouse and also be a Bonner Scholar. God has blessed me to receive several  scholarships and grants on behalf to assist me  with paying for college.
    I won’t be one out of the three students that will not make it because me personally I set certain goals and achievements for myself and  I have a desire to be triumphant .Before even entering college I have already developed a positive and sedulous mentality.I know college will be fun, but I have to be wise and mindful with my time . Serving the community and my academics are my main priorities ; I will not let anything or anyone interfere with them. Also, I know that there is a purpose for everything and my purpose is to be successful and receive a degree along with tons of service hours. When I am facing difficult and rigorous tasks I won’t give up and I will always remember my purpose.I must say high school has prepared me to be useful with my time.Being able to be apart of many organizations and clubs , and maintain my grades at the same time was not an easy task in the end I was able to do it.
    By moving so far away from home I know that I will have to be alert and focus on my academics and school work no matter what. My family and friends are very proud of me and hope that I do the right things and remain  focus. I wouldn't  want to let God and my family down by not making it, so I am going to do whatever it takes in order succeed and be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not believe that I will be one of the students not to make it because of my fore mentioned innate and unyielding drive for success and the completion of my goals. I consider myself, and have proven myself to be a dedicated and driven individual through my various activities and accomplishments. I've made a commitment to myself and the Bonner program to put forth the utmost effort in the pursuit of furthering our cause. I've dedicated my life to my academics and the betterment of my community. Bonner provides me the opportunity to realize my goals simultaneously, an opportunity for which I am extremely grateful. I would be doing myself a disservice to not follow through on an opportunity like this.

    The opportunity to attend college, especially a college like Morehouse, is something I consistently say that I do not take for granted. It is my personal belief that college enables me to learn to better serve myself and my community. I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge that the scholarship component of the Bonner program assists me in alleviating a great deal of the financial burden, and helps me take advantage of all Morehouse has to offer. I write all of this to say out of obligation to myself and my community I am driven to utilize this opportunity as best as I can.

    I am driven by my vision of a strengthened community and my desire for success. I am focused, and I will be relentless in my pursuit of greatness. This is why I believe I will not be one of 3 students not to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will not be one of the 3 students removed from the program because of my tenacious work ethic, and my great commitment to community service. I believe I was put on this earth to be of service to others, and I also believe that God blesses us so we can bless others. I've been blessed with a once in a lifetime opportunity to be a Morehouse Man and be of service of people & I will not let this opportunity go to waste.
    While going through my whole college application process, community service was a huge factor in deciding my school. Being that I am from Louisville, KY I applied to the University of Louisville, and I knew that if I went I there I would be able to continue my community service efforts around the city. My second choice was the University of Cincinnati, I was invited to apply for their "Darwin T. Turner" scholarship which is a community service program similar to the Bonner and Adams program. Lastly, it was my dream to be a Man of Morehouse, and once I did my research and found out about the Bonner program I knew for a fact I had to be apart of it. I filled out the application and made it a mission of mine to turn it in on campus, I did just that. I also reached out to a couple of Bonner Scholars and made sure my name would be remembered which is one of the many reasons I am here now. My dedication and persistence is unmatched & with that being said, I will go above and beyond the call of duty and will remain a Bonner Scholar during my tenure at Morehouse College.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is D'Andre Smith, I hope you all are in good spirit. I was blessed by the Bonner Program. Morehouse College is the school of my dreams, and this scholarship allows me to have the honor to live my dream for the next four years. I committed to Morehouse upon my acceptance prior to my academic scholarship because I knew god was going to make a way for me. When I left California to got to Morehouse for the first time, my research led me to discovering the Bonner Program. During ASW I went to the Bonner office to apply for the program and I was afforded the opportunity to speak with Mr. Bentley and two other Bonner members. They informed me about the expectations Bonner members have as students and as leaders. As I learned more about the program I fell in love with the idea of being a member.

    I have learned a lot of valuable things throughout high school that has prepared my for this moment. I have held a lot of leadership positions that has tested my fortitude and my work ethic. There has been many situations where I have overcame obstacles to get things done. I am a determined young man, and I refuse to let this opportunity go to waste. I live by the Air Force honor code "Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all I do." I was one of the 15 that made it in the program, and I refuse to be a student who doesn't make it THROUGH the program.

    In high school I was able to go from being a 3.0 student to a 4.2 student, so I know that if I work hard I will manage to keep above a 3.0. In Student Government I got used to having to record a number of hours in the different I participated in, so it will not be difficult for me to complete my Bonner hours if I manage my time wisely.

    I plan on doing more than just staying in the program. I want to help elevate Bonner as much as I can. We are two weeks from embarking on this college journey together, and I am truly excited to work with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Will not be 1 out of 3 that will not make it. I can. And I Will. Is the quote I live by. With a mindset that leaves you no choice but to succeed, Failure is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The reason I will not be the one out of three students that will not make it is because I am focused and I have a dream. All my life, I've been told that I would become a statistic and even at an early age I was told I would not "make it". However, I've made it... to Morehouse College, one of the most prestigious schools in the nation and I've made it as a Bonner Scholar, a well respected position in the community and scholastic community. I would say that I have beaten societies expectations and stereotypes.

    If I have made it this far and put in work in the past, I must keep going. There is no looking back, there is only progression moving forward. I have a family to make proud and most importantly, I have my life in my own hands. I make the choices for myself and those choices will be wise so that I may become successful. As an incoming freshman at Morehouse, I know there is a legacy to keep and a legacy to uphold.One must limit distractions and stay focused to become great.

    The great Muhammad Ali once said "I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion". Mr. Ali is saying if you quit now you will be known as a loser but if you never give up you’ll be a winner forever. Whether its the need to improve in school, work, athletics , or organizations, one must never give up. If one can have fortitude and go through adversity without giving up, they are on a great path for success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good evening brothers. I hope all is well. Success. This is a word that I use very often in my vocabulary, because I am a firm believer in speaking things into existence along with action. To whom much is given, much is required. I have overcome many obstacles in my life to reach the point that I am currently in. I can proudly say I will be the first to attend college in my family. Also, the first to do much more. However, on the road to reach where I am, I have overcome the frailties of life that come with being productive and receiving the opportunity to become more than what anyone in my family has become. Jealousy, pride, and things of that nature. It hurts the most when it is your own family members I fyou ask me. However, I used this and also many other unfortunate circumstances that I had to go through such as fighting for a roof over my head and supporting myself in every way possible while still yearning to graduate high school and attend college. It is the persistence, consistency, and dedication that I have demonstrated already, that allows me to say that I will not be one of the three to not make it. In my opinion, I do not have a choice but to be successful. I have too much on the line and I refuse to let anything get in my way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Becoming a Man of Morehouse has been a dream of mine since my freshman year of High School. Visiting my sister, who was also a Bonner Scholar, during her senior year was really a special moment for me. During that time I was able to visualize and observe what it takes to balance being a successful student and Bonner Scholar. I believe that I have everything it takes to achieve success and to make it through not only the Bonner Program but to become a graduate from Morehouse College. I have been molded into a strong young man and a strong leader over the years and my growth will only continue. I am able to fight through adversity and battle through the obstacles expected to present themselves along the way. My leadership is huge a testament to my character. However, my selfless attitude and dedication to putting others before myself will have a maximal impact on the community of Atlanta. I am a skilled and well rounded individual and I will be an asset to the benefit of the Bonner Program.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Throughout my life I have been looked upon to fail statistically. I've always told myself to never allow numbers define who you are. Numerous young black males tend to forget the greatness of the mind. Someone can steal your items, but they can never take your mind. Knowledge is power, and I plan to use my intelligence to my advantage in college and life. Menal preparation will prevent me from dropping out in any aspect of my life I take part in. Along with this, I strive to encourage others to never give up and always use their mind as a tool of greatness. The mind is a terrible thing to waste, so why would I waste it by dropping out?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will not be one of the three students who will not make it, because God has a purpose for me. Throughout thick and thin I will and shall overcome any obstacle given to me. I constantly ask myself , “Why am I here?” I am here to become a great man. I am here to utilize God’s purpose for me. I was put on this Earth to serve each and everyone. I am here to give to my community, show a different perspective of love. I am here to spread equality and prove that change will happen, that our world will reflect perfection and beauty…. My purpose is why i will not fail and be one of the three student, who won’t make it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As an american citizen it does not seem as though America is distributing healthcare to this who actually need it. Of course the rich can afford it, but we have to think about the middle and lower class. This leads to healthcare becoming a right to have. There should be no option to whether you receive healthcare. Not only that it should at least be affordable healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As an american citizen it does not seem as though America is distributing healthcare to this who actually need it. Of course the rich can afford it, but we have to think about the middle and lower class. This leads to healthcare becoming a right to have. There should be no option to whether you receive healthcare. Not only that it should at least be affordable healthcare.

    ReplyDelete

Meet Isaiah Hudson, Senior Bonner Intern

Isaiah Hudson is a junior, economics with a minor in fashion merchandising here at Morehouse College. A native of Youngstown, Ohio, Isaia...